A road toll campaign to be launched by the state government will focus on individuals taking more responsibility for cutting road deaths.
The “Road to Zero – it starts with you” campaign will run in conjunction with statewide road enforcement operations over the next three months, inlcuding the consecutive Easter and Anzac Day long weekends, and the Queen’s Birthday holiday.
Police and Emergency Services Minister Kim Wells said the campaign, from April 1 until June 30, would use social media to promote road safety by encouraging people to share their thoughts on road safety through videos, photos or messages.
“We are proud of the work done so far to reduce Victoria’s road toll to the lowest we’ve seen for almost 90 years. However, we ant this downward trend to continue,” Mr Wells said.
Victoria Police Assistant Commisioner Robert Hill said although the reduction in the road toll for 2013 was significant, the same reduction was not seen in serious-injury collisions.
Published in The Age on April 1, 2014