First appeared in The Moorabool News, October 20 2017
The mother of Paul Hogan found out about her son’s brutal murder while watching the 11:30am news, a court has heard.
A victim impact statement written by Val Hogan was read in the Supreme Court of Victoria by Crown Prosecutor Jeremy McWilliams on Friday October 20.
Paul Hogan was shot in the head at point blank range while attempting to reverse out of his Labilliere Street home in Bacchus Marsh on May 24 last year.
Ms Hogan said she saw her son’s white van pictured on the news and ran straight to her local police station, where it was confirmed that her only child had been killed.
“I collapsed onto the floor,” she said
“Paul didn’t just die, he was stolen from me”.
Melbourne man Daniel Duhovic, 33, has pleaded guilty to one charge of murder and one charge of recklessly causing injury after fatally shooting Mr Hogan, who was employed at Noodle Lovers in Bacchus Marsh.
The prosecution has alleged that Duhovic was enlisted to murder Mr Hogan by the deceased’s alleged girlfriend Yu Tung Lo, 26.
Ms Lo has also been charged with murder.
Ms Hogan said the loss of a child, no matter their age, was indescribable.
“A year-and-half later and my life is no different to the day I found out [about Mr Hogan’s death]… I’m still trying to cope with the realisation that I can never hug him and he can never hug me”.
The maximum term for murder is life in prison. For recklessly causing injury, it is five years in prison.
At the time of writing, Duhovic had served 514 days in prison.
Defence barrister Philip Dunn said Duhovic had acted in defence of his co-accused, Yu Lo.
Justice Jane Dixon adjourned the matter for a sentencing hearing at a date to be fixed.