Hoax call puts school in lockdown

A hoax phone call to a Bacchus Marsh primary school had children and staff in lock down last week.

St Bernard’s Parish Primary School received a threatening phone call at 12:33pm on Tuesday (February 23).

Principal Emilio Scalzo said the male caller threatened to “attend the school and do harm”.

“We immediately put in place our emergency procedures for this scenario.  This plan includes putting the school in lock down and calling the police.  From that point on the police took control and liaised with our staff regarding our specific situation, class numbers, location of children and general layout of the school,” he said.

“We should be very proud of our Bacchus Marsh police because they arrived within minutes and immediately secured the safety of all of our children and staff. Thankfully the call was a sick hoax but they, like us, decided not to take any unnecessary risks”.

Mr Scalzo said the parents of students were notified by SMS, instructing them to stay clear of the school due to the lockdown and police presence.

“We assured them that the children were safe.  Their cooperation meant that the police efforts to ensure no intruder could approach the school made everyone’s job easier”.

The hoax was one of a number of menacing phone calls plaguing primary schools throughout the nation and overseas.

First appeared in The Moorabool News, March 1 2016

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s