A woman who used a stolen concession card to save a mere three dollars has walked away without conviction.
Pauline Picking pleaded guilty to one count of theft and one count of obtaining property by deception in the Bacchus Marsh Magistrates Court on Friday (May 15).
Police prosecutor, Senior Constable Wilson said the accused had allegedly stolen the concession card along with two myki cards, a Crown Signature club card and a Chinese passport from a handbag found at Southern Cross Station on November 22, 2014.
Moments later, the accused purchased a concession myki card using the stolen concession card, which equalled a total of three-dollars as opposed to the six-dollar full fare fee, the court heard.
On November 29 2014, Picking was travelling between Southern Cross Station and Bacchus Marsh on a Vline train when an inspector approached her to check her ticket. Suspecting the concession card did not belong to her, the inspector rang a protected services officer at Melton who searched the woman’s belongings and found the stolen items.
Picking’s solicitor stated that the accused had moved to Australia from China in 2003, and as she was not entitled to any income support was having great financial difficulties.
Magistrate Cynthia Toose said whilst the matter was very serious, she had been persuaded by Picking’s solicitor to place the accused on a 12-month adjourned undertaking without conviction.
“You had every opportunity to hand in that property to the police, I don’t know what you planned to do with that passport – and I don’t want to know. However I note that you have no known priors and the valued advantage was only $3,” she said.
Picking was ordered to an adjourned undertaking until May 13, 2016.
First appeared in The Moorabool News, May 18 2015